Second Step Programa extraescolar is a research-based program specifically designed to support essential social-emotional skills and competencies in before- and after-school settings. Twelve durable notebooks contain fun, age-appropriate activities focused on skills like community building, practicing empathy and kindness, and understanding emotions using movement, art, games, and challenges. The program covers three grade bands—Kindergarten–Grade 1, Grades 2–3, and Grades 4–5—and includes illustrations and characters that age along with kids.
Designed to be flexible, Second Step Programa extraescolar provides facilitation techniques and other adaptations to fit activities to kids’ needs. Its structured, sequenced format helps educators engage kids of different ages and abilities in playful, meaningful ways.
Each Second Step® Programa extraescolar kit includes:
Twelve durable, spiral-bound activity notebooks, presented entirely in Spanish
- 3 grade bands of activities (Kindergarten–Grade 1, Grades 2–3, Grades 4–5)
- 4 SEL units per grade band (one spiral-bound notebook per unit):
- Community Building
- Growth Mindset & Goal Setting
- Emotion Management
- Empathy & Kindness
- Each notebook contains:
- 12–13 engaging SEL activities, including performance-task activities designed to demonstrate learning in each unit
- Custom illustrations that age along with kids
- Embedded facilitator supports, such as attention signals and transition tips, and group-management techniques
Online program training and program supports for Second Step Programa extraescolar are only available in English at this time, and include:
- A staff training presentation and overview materials that provide staff with an understanding of SEL and why it’s important in OST settings, as well as strategies for teaching the program effectively
- Activities and guidance for site leaders and facilitators to work together to plan program implementation at their site
- Resources for how to respond to disclosures of abuse or neglect
- Additional materials including Family Letters, research summaries, and the program’s scope and sequence
Both Second Step Programa extraescolar and Second Step Out-of-School Time include a Spanish-language version of the program’s staff training presentation. English-language printed kit materials are not included in Second Step Programa extraescolar but are available for purchase separately. Purchase Second Step Out-of-School Time here.