SECOND STEP MIDDLE SCHOOL CURRICULUM LICENSE AGREEMENT
Last Updated: August 1, 2017
This Digital Middle School Curriculum License Agreement (“Agreement”) governs your access or use of the online service that allows you to access Second Step lessons, videos, supplemental and related activities,
professional learning, an administrative dashboard, and other resources (the “Service”) provided by Committee for Children
(“ Committee for Children,” “CFC,” “we” or “us”).
PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY. IT CONTAINS
1. Consent to Electronic Communications; Eligibility. CFC may be required by law to send communications to you that pertain to the Service and your use thereof. You consent to receive these communications electronically (e.g.,
Services, you represent and warrant that you (a) are 18 years of age or older; (b) have not been previously suspended or removed from the Services; or engaged in any activity that could result in suspension or removal from the Services; (c) have the
full power and authority to enter into these Terms and in so doing will not violate any other agreement to which you are a party; and (d) are not barred from receiving or using the Services under the laws of the United States or any other applicable
2. Scope of License to the Service. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, CFC grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable (except to another user in your organization where you are accessing the Services on behalf of your organization), non-sublicensable, revocable license during your Subscription to access
and use the Service and any associated documentation and information provided by CFC solely for your own internal, noncommercial use. Any CFC updates or upgrades to the Service, including any updates or upgrades that supplement
or replace the original Service shall also be governed by this Agreement unless separate license terms accompany such updates or upgrades, in which case such separate terms will govern in the event of a conflict between such separate terms
and this Agreement or as otherwise provided in such separate terms. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to modify the Service (or any features or functionality of the Service) at any time without notice and without obligation
or liability to you.
3. License Restrictions. The rights granted in Section 2 of this Agreement constitute the entirety of your rights with respect to the Service and CFC reserves all rights in and to the Service not expressly granted
to you in this Agreement. The license granted to you in Section 2 is for internal purposes only and does not allow you to do any of the following: (a) permit or authorize any third party (other than an authorized user who separately agrees to this
Agreement) to access or use the Service; (b) use the Service on any device you do not own or control; (c) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or attempt to discover any source code or trade secrets related to the
Service or any proprietary materials of CFC; (d) modify, alter or create any derivative works of the Service; (e) remove, alter or obscure any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notice on or in the Service; (f) work
around any technical limitations in the Service; or (g) use the Service for purposes other than those for which it was designed or permitted under this Agreement, including, but not limited to, for purposes of downloading or distributing
any content made available via the Service. Unless stated in this Agreement or otherwise by CFC, nothing in this Agreement shall be construed as conferring any right or license to intellectual property rights, whether by estoppel, implication,
statute or otherwise. If you breach any of these restrictions, you may be subject to prosecution and damages. The license granted in Section 2 is revocable at any time.
4. Ownership of the Service. The Service is licensed, not sold, subject to these Terms. The Service is the valuable property of CFC and our licensors and is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and
treaties. CFC, and our licensors, own all right, title, and interest in and to the Service, including all copyright and other intellectual property rights therein. 5. Payment Terms.
- (a) Subscriptions. We offer different subscription plans for access and use of the Service (each, a “Subscription”), on an annual or other periodic basis, all as specified on
the Service site.
WHEN YOU REGISTER FOR A SUBSCRIPTION, YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT (A) CFC (OR OUR THIRD PARTY PAYMENT PROCESSOR) IS
AUTHORIZED TO CHARGE YOU IN FULL OR ON A PERIODIC BASIS (AS SELECTED BY YOU VIA THE SERVICE) FOR YOUR SUBSCRIPTION (IN ADDITION TO ANY APPLICABLE TAXES AND OTHER CHARGES) IN ADVANCE; AND (B) YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL CONTINUE THROUGH
THE APPLICABLE SUBSCRIPTION TERM UNLESS WE SUSPEND OR STOP PROVIDING ACCESS TO THE SERVICE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS AGREEMENT.
- (b) Cancellation Policy. YOU MAY CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION AT ANY TIME BY CALLING COMMITTEE FOR CHILDREN AT THE NUMBER INDICATED ON OUR CONTACT US PAGE. IF YOU CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WITHIN NINETY (90)
DAYS OF PURCHASE, YOU WILL RECEIVE A FULL REFUND. COMMITTEE FOR CHILDREN HAS NO OBLIGATION TO REFUND ANY AMOUNTS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS CANCELLED MORE THAN NINETY (90) DAYS AFTER PURCHASE.
- (c) Free or Promotional Trials. From time to time, to the extent legally permitted, we may offer free or reduced rate promotional trials of certain Subscriptions for specified periods of time without payment or for a reduced promotional
price. If we offer you a free or promotional trial, the specific terms of your free trial will be provided in the marketing materials describing the particular trial, during the registration process on secondstep.org, or when the code for the trial
is entered on secondstep.org.
ONCE YOUR FREE OR REDUCED-RATE PROMOTIONAL TRIAL ENDS, YOUR ACCESS TO THE SERVICES WILL AUTOMATICALLY END AS WELL, WITHOUT NOTICE FROM US. AT SUCH TIME (OR AT ANYTIME BEFORE THE END OF YOUR FREE OR REDUCED RATE PROMOTIONAL TRIAL), YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO PURCHASE A SUBSCRIPTION THROUGH THE PROCESS DESCRIBED IN THIS AGREEMENT. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO MODIFY OR TERMINATE FREE OR REDUCED-RATE PROMOTIONAL TRIALS AT ANY TIME, WITHOUT NOTICE, AND IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION.
- (d) Payment and Billing Information. By providing a payment method that we accept, you represent and warrant that you are authorized to use the designated payment method and that you permit us (or our third party payment processor)
to charge your payment method for the total amount of your Subscription or other purchase (including any applicable taxes and other charges). If the payment method cannot be verified, is invalid or is otherwise not acceptable, your order may be
suspended or cancelled. You must resolve any problem we encounter in order to proceed with your order. In the event you want to change or update payment information associated with your account, you can do so by calling, emailing or otherwise contacting us to adjust or edit your payment information. You acknowledge that the amount billed may vary due to promotional offers, changes to your Subscription or changes in applicable taxes or other charges, and you authorize us (or our third party payment processor)
to charge your payment method for the corresponding amount.
- (e) Pricing and Availability. All prices are shown in U.S. dollars and applicable taxes and other charges, if any, are additional. We reserve the right to adjust prices as we may determine in our sole discretion, at any time and without
notice; provided, however, that if we change the amounts or other charges associated with your Subscription, we will provide advance notice of such changes in accordance with Section 5. We will not, however, be required to notify you of changes
in any applicable taxes. All of our Services and Subscriptions are subject to availability, and we reserve the right to impose quantity limits on any order, to reject all or part of an order, or to discontinue offering certain
Services or Subscriptions without prior notice, even if you have already placed an order.
- (f) Taxes. You are responsible for any sales, duty or other governmental taxes or fees due with respect to your purchase of a Subscription or other Services. We will collect applicable sales tax if we determine that we have
a duty to collect sales tax. We will present any taxes that we are required to collect on your invoice, but note that actual taxes charged may be adjusted from the amount shown on the invoice. Several factors may cause
this, such as variances between processor programs and changes in tax rates.
and peripherals, that is gathered in connection with your access to and use of the Service. For information about how CFC collects, uses and shares information about you in connection with your use of the Service, please refer
7. Feedback. You may provide CFC with comments, suggestions, observations, information, and other feedback regarding the performance, features, and functionality of the Service, including in response to any surveys or questions
posed by CFC (collectively, “ Feedback”). To the extent you voluntarily provide Feedback, you understand and agree that the Service-related data and information obtained or collected by CFC in connection with
such access will be non-confidential and part of any Feedback you provide under this Agreement. CFC will own exclusive rights, including, without limitation, all intellectual property rights, in and to all Feedback and will be entitled to the unrestricted
use and dissemination of Feedback for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you.
8. Support Services. CFC may provide certain support or maintenance services for the Service during your Subscription. If you have any questions regarding the Service, please contact CFC at 800-634-4449 or email@example.com.
AND USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK; AND (C) THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY, AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU. CFC SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY OF ANY KIND FOR THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICE
OR FOR ANY LOSS OF DATA. CFC DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE DELIVERED FREE OF ANY INTERRUPTIONS, DELAYS, OMISSIONS OR ERRORS (COLLECTIVELY, “ Faults”) OR IN A SECURE MANNER OR THAT ANY
FAULTS WILL BE CORRECTED. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION, STATEMENT, REPRESENTATION OR ADVICE GIVEN BY CFC OR ITS AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVES SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY.
THE LAWS OF SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED
OR USE OF THE SERVICE (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY DAMAGES CAUSED BY OR RESULTING FROM YOUR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM CFC, OR FROM MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DELETIONS OF FILES OR EMAILS, ERRORS, DEFECTS,
BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, DELAYS IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, FAULTS, OR ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, WHETHER OR NOT RESULTING FROM ACTS OF GOD, COMMUNICATIONS FAILURE, THEFT, DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO CFC’S RECORDS, PROGRAMS
OR SYSTEMS), AND EVEN IF CFC HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
ALL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY UNDER SECTION 10 WILL APPLY EVEN IF THE REMEDIES OTHERWISE PROVIDED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, AT LAW OR IN EQUITY, FAIL OF THEIR ESSENTIAL PURPOSE, AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OR CAUSE OF ACTION OR THE ALLEGED BASIS OF THE CLAIM.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
11. Term and Termination; Survival. The license granted under Section 2 shall be in effect from the date you first access the Service until the end of your Subscription. Either party may terminate this Agreement at any time,
with or without cause, by providing written notice (email is sufficient) of termination to the other party. Upon such termination, the license granted under Section 2 will automatically terminate and you must promptly: (a) cease accessing and using the Service and any information related to the
Service; and (b) destroy all information related to the Service in your possession or control. The following sections of this Agreement will survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement: Sections 1, 3, 4, 5(f), and 6–14.
12. Severability. If any term, clause, or provision of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, then that term, clause, or provision will be severable from this Agreement and will not affect the validity or enforceability of any
remaining part of that term, clause, or provision, or any other term, clause, or provision of this Agreement.
THIS AGREEMENT IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON WITHOUT REFERENCE TO ITS CHOICE OF LAW PRINCIPLES. THE PARTIES HEREBY IRREVOCABLY CONSENT TO THE JURISDICTION OF THE STATE AND FEDERAL COURTS LOCATED IN KING COUNTY, WASHINGTON.
14. Contact. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Service or this Agreement, please contact CFC by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail or phone at:
Committee for Children
2815 Second Ave., Suite 400
Seattle, WA, 98121